This chine has too much curve to try and bend the wood on, so we scarfed together smaller pieces to form the curve.
This was the first chine piece we installed. It doesn't quite go to the ends of the boat. It would have been too difficult to lift a 30ft. curved 1X8 into place so we installed it in several pieces.
This is where the chine meets the stem. I used a circular saw to make a bunch of cuts at the correct depth, and then knock out the pieces with a chisel.
Here is the finished product, the chine now sits flush with the stem and is glued in place.
We are almost done shaping the stem, it has come a long way.
We added a "knee," just a piece of wood on the inside corner of the stem to give more support to a vulnerable spot on the boat.
I accidentally made two of the same frame, so I decided to test the extra to destruction. We stuck one end of the frame around the telephone pole outside the shop and tied the other end to PJ's truck.
It took several attempts to break. It needed much more force than we expected. You can just see the frame stretching and warping. It bends quite a bit before it breaks, have a look.
The Result couldn't have been better. The frame broke the wood and not the glue joints. It is reassuring to have hands on proof of the incredible strength of epoxy. So far there is not a single mechanical fastener on the boat just lots of epoxy.
Just for fun, Beth and I wrestled a sheet of plywood onto the boat today, we are getting so close to sheeting the hull. It is very exciting.