Thursday, December 6, 2012

We're puttin' tops on stuff!




This week on the boat, the icebox continues.....

We poured the outside insulation last week, and this week we are working on the lid.  The idea was to pour foam into the area where the lid would go, then pull the hardened foam block out and fiberglass the outside.  This should yield a lightweight and snug fitting lid.

I put a piece of plywood covered in plastic about three inches into the box to pour the foam onto.  Of course you can see the foam grew well out of its mold, which is good.  I cut around the edges and then Beth helped me pull it out using those three chisels.


There were a few voids, but it turned out pretty good overall.  


We rarely work on just one thing at the shop and this week has been no different.  I put some time into getting the port side deck framing in.  Beth and I glued the carlins(beam running from bow to stern) a month or more ago, so all I had to do was cut some notches and glue it in.  The trick with the carlin is getting it to run at at the same angle as the side of the boat.  It was sawn to shape, but as with most things needed to be tweaked a little.  I this photo we have laid pieces of wood across and then we just look down them to see if everything is flowing smoothly.  Then we used a clamp to raise and lower the carlin until it looked good.   

  
Here is the finished product.  We decided to go with pretty wide side decks, 18".  Our previous boat had much narrower side decks and it can be a pain to go back and forth carrying sails.  Of course on the flip side we lose some interior room.



Notch in the carlin where a side deck beam will go.



Beth, as you can see in this picture, has been on a sanding/painting tear.  Most of the interior has at least one coat of paint and some are finished.  It all looks so great with paint.



I caught Beth bashing the lid to her paint can on with the roller handle.


Freshly painted walls and Icebox.  We had just enough copper to finish the icebox top, It looks so sick!

I have been working for the man lately, so haven't been at the shop as much as I would like, but when I get this monkey off my back I'm going to start working on the Head(bathroom)(nautical terms suck).  Our toilet just arrived yesterday and now I have to find a way to fit it in the small space designated for it.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment